So, in no particular order here is a list of things that have been inspiring me as I work to get this campaign off the ground:
- Gunnerkrig Court (Tom understands faeries)
- The new (2014) Godzilla movie (because Big G was the inspiration for Monsters). And seriously, if you can find the leaked trailer with narration by Oppenheimer (yes that one), holy crap it’s awesome!
- City of Heroes (RIP), Champions Online, and Star Trek Online. These are the only games I play.
- Biting the Sun by Tanith Lee. Best book I’ve ever read in my life. Has influenced everything I’ve done since reading it.
- The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. You won’t find a better description of unconditional love in a fantasy setting, nor a better view of why it would matter (and it does, very much) anywhere.
- The King of Elfland’s Daughter by Lord Dunsany. Epic, personal, human, fantasy and true all at once.
- Transcending Levels of Consciousness by Dr. David R. Hawkins. All NPC psychology uses this view of the mind. Both heroes and villains.
- Supernatural. Love it.
- Sanctuary. Best take on Nikolai Tesla ever.
- Fringe. Awesome mad scientist, and he’s one of the heroes.
- Girl Genius. Again, awesome mad science. Very convoluted plots.
- Blade Bunny. Far more subtle writing than 90% of the readers can catch.
There’s more, but that’s a decent start.
And again, this is not what inspired the setting, just what’s in my mind as I do this campaign.