After our last session the party realized that they had too many unanswered questions. We reviewed all of the dangling plot points and discussed what the party wants to do next.
- What does the artifact trouble left in Cait do?
- Who hired the red plumes?
- What is the relationship between the arena, the orc, bully and the red plumes?
- How is noble family that rhuddy stole a hand from involved?
- What happened to the other 3 artifacts stolen from the amber temple?
- When (and who) will come from beyond the veil of death to speak to Arianwyn since she got a new body?
- What are the three redheads up to?
- Where is Challm’s new property?
- What is up with the gang war?
- Who are these other people who can travel through the necropolis?
- Where is the branch administrator’s key to MAGI property?
- What is going on with the elven civil war?
- Will the Valmont’s try anything?
- Is Nadezdha safe now?
- Who was not-siobahn?
- Why did she want to talk to an elf?
- Is the empire’s platinum safe?
- Will the priests of the monsters seek revenge?
- Will the howling demon and his succubus do anything to Jacques’ lands? or are they far enough away?
- How did olivia know about you guys and where did she go after she sent you to Passau?
- Did the new tree on Ash’s farm resolve the problem with teh shadow or not?
- If the mirror realm still has temples to all the monster lords, why was their priest too weak to kick out the efreeti?
- What happened to the person Challm was using his bar’s abilityto grant sanctuary to?
- What’s going on with the mist?
- What’s going on with esmerelda’s relationship with her bardic college?
- What was the deal with the murder that was the red plume’s first job?
Interrogation of Captain Ehrlich
The Red Plume’s commander was captured at the end of the party’s battle with him and his resurgent god, Goralik. His soul (and that of the mercenary force’s champion) was trapped into the hand of a statue of the god, which Arianwyn transformed into small statues she keeps in the library and has Trouble torment them with annoying questions. She brought out Ehrlich’s statue and activated it, conjuring his spirit in the form of a disembodied head. Esmerelda gave Arianwyn a pouch of some dust that she had custom made by someone who was not as respectful of corpse’s rights as the one who invented the Speak with Dead spell. This version compelled answers and made it very hard to lie. Arianwyn used it on Ehrlich for the following 5 questions (with a little additional side skills checks by the party).
What did the customer who hired the Red Plumes for the three jobs do with the key? He has it on his body, on a chain around his neck. I think he even sleeps with it.
How did he contact you? He sent messengers with a symbol, the signet ring of a noble family that went extinct generations ago.
>> The family was named Samogita but their original name was Zemotijit. Far in the past they were patrons of MAGI and eventually became members of the ministry. Some as agents and some as officers. The family died out, no one knows how. Some rumors about a rivalry with another family, but the details are lost.
What about the future? Future jobs and/or use for the artifacts? He complained about people looking for immortality only getting it half right. Elves live for millennia, undead too. But they can still be obliterated. He wanted to do it right.
Who were they protecting that he hired them to kill instead (1st job)? A minor noble family, from the mountains, they have a home here in the city. Their names were Evzan and Lada Ptacek. The wife was the target, the husband… well, he shouldn’t have tried to protect her.
Note: in other conversations it had been revealed that during the assassination the customer died too, but then later showed back up again in a different body.
>> Ash asked: what happened to the body of the customer? Int. Check: Nat 1. No idea.
What were the tells that allowed him to know the person in different bodies and/or anything his men might have told him? Ehrlich explained that he knew the client regardless of which body he appeared in because of the way he walked and moved. As a fighter that was relatively easy for Ehrlich to pick up on. Arianwyn wanted to know what where those tells, but being an archivist she couldn’t understand what he was saying. That is until Sir Bel came over and acted it all out and explained what was going on. Now everyone in the party can identify the customer regardless of what body he wears.
>> Ash asked her rats to check on the bodies: Yes the nobles were buried in her graveyard, and yes there was an unidentified body with them. The body was rendered down for glue and candles. One candle is left, which is now in Ash’s possession.
Trouble asked her contact Sam about the history of the families. The feud expanded until it reached hatfield vs mckoy levels. They kept using more and more powerful magic and even stealing from MAGI to use artifacts against each other. Rumors hold that when the first family died out their servants became a secret society dedicated to wiping out the others. Even MAGI started to hunt them both due to the thefts and artifact useage. Eventually there was no one left. The histories all say MAGI won in the end having taken out everyone involved.